Gallery 345 is
an L-shaped space of over 2,000 square feet with 12 foot
wood ceilings and plaster and brick walls, designed and lit
for the display of art.
The gallery is on the first floor of a century-old warehouse
in Toronto's West End, just north of the tennis courts in the
Sorauren Avenue park. The building was originally a one storey
shed built in the 1890s to manufacture pianos. In 1910 a second
and third storey was added to the building when manufacturers
of ball bearings, then tiles, took possession.
Gallery 345 was created in 2005 by Edward
Epstein. A native of New York City, Ed married a Canadian
and has been living in Toronto since 1987. He has been involved
with contemporary music in the city since he arrived and
once he established the gallery, he bought a nine foot concert
grand to take advantage of the superb acoustics. With
the piano and recently purchased recording equipment, Gallery
345 now has the capacity to host and record small ensemble
performances and concerts.